If you need to rebuild your fantasy hockey team, this episode is about the strategy options you want to use.
1. Scorched Earth: (2-3 years) – Your team is a dumpster fire! You have no quality long term assets, sell everything for draft picks, prospects and futures
* Owning your own draft picks is essential – Don’t get stuck in “Futures mode”. If you have been rebuilding for five years its not a rebuild, you just suck.
2. Rebuild: (1-2 years) – Two to five players that are the core of your roster and should be valuable for the next five years. Look to fill holes in targeted and identified weakness or opportunities. Sell off players 30+ years old for futures, or trade 50 point players for 60 point players that are injured for season (Dougie Hamilton)
3. Retool: (1 year) – Good team having bad year, bad luck. Sell two or three players for great futures to make next year or next few years even better. One step back, two steps forward.
Three ways to acquire players:
1. Trade: Target opportunities to acquire players that will help you in future and for teams that can use what you have to offer. Trade can be risky, you have to give to get and in a rebuild you are offering established payers for prospects or picks that may not pan out. Trading a 80 point player that is 30 for a prospect that does not pan out can be devastating. Try to get multiple assets in return to ensure you have some long term value
2. Draft: Target blue-chip prospects in the early draft, even if the wait time is up to five years. Mid round look at either boom or bust prospects, or players with a short ETA such as free agents from NCAA or Europe or over age draftees.
3. Free Agent or Waiver Wire: Best time to acquire top assets here is early in the season as players have breakout performances, exceed expectations etc. Requires some homework but well worth it if you catch wind of this seasons breakout rookies before the competition.
Top NHL Rookies to target in trade:
Cody Glass VGK
Vitali Kravtson NYR
Filip Zadina DET
Kirby Dach CHI
Barrett Hayton ARI
Andrew Mangiapane CGY
Dylan Sikura CHI
Prospects on the brink of the NHL
Logan Brown, Drake Batherson, Erik Brannstrom OTT
Sam Steel ANA
Jake Bean CAR
Jack Studnicka BOS
Evan Bouchard EDM
Kirill Kaprizov MIN
Ilya Sorokin NYI
Igor Shesterkin NYR
Morgan Frost PHI
Rasmus Sandin TOR
Alex Romanov MTL
Injured players you may want to target
Juuso Valimaki CGY
Dougie Hamilton CAR
Anthony Mantha DET
Vladimir Tarasenko STL
Victor Olofsson BUF
Ilya Mikhayev TOR
Alex Texier CBJ
The Ottawa Senators are a NHL model example of how to rebuild. They have traded star players like Erik Karlsson, Mark Stone and Matt Duchene for futures and now have a bright future and two lottery first round picks. Peter reviews the top ten prospects and ten more since they are so deep.
3. Logan Brown
4. Josh Norris
9. Joey Daccord
The next five:
Five more sleepers:
To help the show out, please give a review and drop a rating how every you listen to the podcast.
Enjoy the show, thanks for listening
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE!
- Prospect Ramblings: Prospects Traded Last Week
- Prospect Rambling: 2019 First Round Mid-Season Expectation vs Reality Grades | Pacific Division
- Prospect Ramblings: Calder Power Rankings 009
- Employment Opportunity: Application for Positions at DobberProspects
- NHL Trade Deadline: Prospect Live Blog
- Prospect Ramblings: Long Awaited NHL Debut of Gabriel Vilardi
- February AHL Report
- Prospect Ramblings: Brendan Brisson Zone Entries and Exits